When it is time to pressure wash a house, important steps should be taken to ensure you do not incur any damages.
1. Improper use of pressure washers or selection of the wrong spray tip can cause:
– Shredding of window screens
– Paint removal
– Vinyl siding to be ripped off or loosened
– Window seals to break
– Water damage inside your home
– Cracks in brick or stucco siding
Remember, when choosing a pressure washer, PSI is the pressure output measured in ‘pounds per square inch’ and GPM is the volume of water a machine delivers, measured in ‘gallons per minute’.
2. Choose the right pressure washer:
If you are cleaning wood or aluminum siding, a different pressure and spray nozzle are needed than what is typically used for vinyl siding.
3. Protect plants, shrubs, electrical and light fixtures from water pressure and water seepage:
Cover all with plastic or waterproof drop cloths and seal covers with waterproof tape.
4. Avoid all vent openings:
Cover all openings with plastic and tape to avoid water damage in your home.
5. Close all windows:
Remember to check every floor and every room.
6. Prepare the power washer cleaning solution:
Be sure to use the right amount of solution and water when filling the machine.
7. Connect the garden hose to the pressure washer water supply:
Turn on the water.
8. Test the pressure washer:
Hold the nozzle with both hands at least 3 feet away from the wall and move in only if necessary to increase the pressure required to remove dirt.
9. Always start at the top of the house:
Spray overhangs and gutters. Then move the spray from side to side all the way down.
Use only water for rinsing and rinse from the top down.
Pressure Washer Attachments:
Use Foaming gun to spread chemicals, then let sit for couple minutes depending on the temperature outside.
Pressure Washer Detergent:
Detergent solutions are specifically formulated for different types of house siding. Use the right one for brick, wood, vinyl or stucco. Always choose an eco-friendly cleaning product.
It is never a good idea to make an uneducated decision or choose the cheapest option for residential pressure washing. Take care of your investment.
If you prefer to hire a professional contractor to pressure wash your home, call Alblaster Pressure Washing – Vancouver to learn more about the techniques and solutions we use.
Get the reliable experience of an insured contractor working for you.